Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Berry-Stuffed French Toast with Custard Sauce (With a Mother's Day Story)

Now doesn't that title alone make you go "Yummmmmm!"? Well it did for me and that is what I planed for myself and my Sister for Mother's day breakfast instead of what the kids have made a "tradition" for the last 3 years.

Now I know your probably asking why would I go a head and brake a tradition that mine and my sisters kids have put in place.

The answer to that is so very simply. The "Tradition" in which I speak of is not very yummy at all. Actually its just down right EWWW. See what they were doing is getting two of my Champaign flutes down and putting grapes or cut up apples in the bottom then taking the can of whipped cream and putting it on top repeating till the glass was full. Now I am not knocking the gesture. It will be memories that I have forever. But lets be honest here it's not a good combination at all at about oh lets say 7:00 am or really ever if I want to be totally transparent.

So I made a plan days in advance that I would beat them all up and make sure there was a decent breakfast going ahead of time. I actually started the night before so that I could sleep in fore a few extra minutes. 1 point for mom! Well my plan worked as the Teens were getting up I said "Good Morning!" which startled them all. Point 2 for mom! Yay I am on a roll here. I said "I have that fancy French toast cooking." To which I get a reply of "Oh that smells good! But I was going to make you eggs and toast!" Ok so that is only a 1/2 point for me! "But hey its ok Ma I'll eat it anyways!"

To which we all did. It was very good. It was a good combination of everything... It will be something I make again for Bruch when company is coming!

 
What You Need
 
 
1/2 pkg. Of the bricked cream cheese spread
1/2 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
2 eggs
5 cups milk divided
1 Loaf of French baguette, ends trimmed, cut into 18 slices, divided
1 1/2 cups frozen mix berries, divided
1 pkg (4 serving size) of Vanilla Instant Pudding
 
Put It Together:
 
Cut bread into your 18 slices 
 
Beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon with electric mixer till well blended


 
Mix in eggs one at a time making sure they are well blended


 
Take your first 9 slices of bread and put in a greased 13x9 baking pan
 
Top bread with 1/2 cup of berries
 
Top with other slices of bread
 
Pour cream cheese mixture over bread. Let stand for 30 minuets OR cover and let stand in the fridge overnight

 
once set turn oven to 350 and put in oven for 40-45 minutes
 
Meanwhile take remaining 2 1/2 cups milk and bring to a boil
 
Once boiled add pudding a bit at a time whisking until blended. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
 
Take remaining berries and warm them up in the microwave for 30-45 seconds
 
Take French toast out of oven and plate adding berries on top of bread and then adding custard on top of berries
 
Serve and Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment